Saturday 15 February 2014

Sweet Dreams X10

Once you start to redo furniture and/or redo "stuff", you start getting requests from all over for certain pieces that people want. 
I love the search. 
I love the redo
I love the reveal
And I love knowing that something I've had a hand in bringing back to life, has found a new home. 

Yesterday I was out in search of a piece for a client. 
In some ways I love doing that, but it almost never ends well. 
When you are looking for something so specific it's not always easy to find.......but on the PLUS side, you run into a lot of wonderful things you simply want to take home and breath new life into. 

Most of the time I have to leave things behind. 
You have no idea how full my basement is. Filled with projects that I need to get to. 
I really should share with you what my poor house has become. lol 

But sometimes you come across something so special you just can't leave it behind. 

Yesterday I came across one of those pieces. 

I know the quality of the pictures are not the greatest...quick snap with my phone in the store while I was still deciding. 
So many people were touching it and awwwing over it I had to grab a chair and sit beside it. I knew I couldn't take a long time because someone was bound to nab it. 
The price was way more than I've ever spent on a piece.....but I was instantly in love.
All the normal things running through my mind. "can I justify this purchase?" "would someone buy it?" "is the cost worth it?" 
Then reality sit in. 
What if it was the wrong size. Old beds were built without a "standard" This makes them much harder to refit. 
So out came my handy tape measure. 
I measured and held my breath. 
53" by 75" 
BINGO!
Perfect standard size for a double bed! 
Now to pick up my chin from the floor and see if there was any wiggle room on the price. Some places will wiggle, some places won't. 
This place didn't. 
Oh but look at those details.

 I simply didn't have the heart to leave it there.

Even the sides were perfect. 

So home it came. 
Once I had it loaded in my truck...well most of it loaded I had it commissioned.
I had to go back with my husbands truck to get the headboard and the springs.
But it's home now. 
and other than removing one nail and fixing one crack it's PERFECT!

And being a bit of a history buff I had to look up the maker right away. 
Turns out this bed was hand signed by the maker and was built somewhere before 1871 in Erie PA. 



4 comments:

  1. My heart literally stood still reading this - hoping beyond hope that you bought it - how magnificent a bed is that?
    I'd give anything to find one!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? It's beyond beautiful! The one question that decides for me is "will I kick myself if I leave it behind?" That's the one that won me over. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a find! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete