Sunday 8 July 2012

All about Dressers Painted and Not!

What a great week we've had here in Ontario. All this summer warmth and sun. I'm totally loving it. I do feel for those that have suffered and some are still suffering in the north east USA who are without power due to the storms last weekend. 

When I started doing furniture it all started with a dresser. My husband received a dresser from his Oma and Ota. (grandparents) He stripped it down (kinda) and left it for years. I finally got sick of looking at it in the basement and BEGGED him to let me finish it. He finally relented and allowed me to finish it. 

I obviously don't have any before pictures...since I wasn't blogging way back when this was done. 
I have to tell you I got "the refinishing bug" 
I constantly have clients who come pick up furniture from my home asking for if this one is for sale. I have to tell them no, my daughter has dibs on it and since it is from family, family gets it. :) 

Now two weeks ago I was in our local GW store and saw a dresser. I fell in love. Actually there were two and I loved them both...but the price was outrageous. So sadly I walked away. 
Then Thursday I decided to go back and just drool a bit more if it was still there. 
And it was..both were still there. So I talked to them to see if they could drop the price ( you never know if you don't ask right?) Lo and behold...they were keen on moving them so I got them for 60% off the asking price!! WOOT WOOT! 
Wouldn't you fall in love if you saw this? 
ok ok, I know you are probably thinking that no matter what, this just wouldn't be worth the effort right? 
But with a bit of stripper and a LOT of sanding.......
 ALL the paint came off, then sanded it to bring back the wood grain, Then decided to paint it again. BUT I left the top natural. I used a dark walnut stain on it and it came out soooooo pretty.

 Now I'm sure you can see that there are no handles on it. This is only because I don't have the glass I want yet. I will be picking those up this week. I also need to raid my stash of antique wheels and will be adding those as well.



I love how it turned out. :) 

I'm going to head home now and will be adding more posts later today...I hope :) Enjoy your Sunday everyone :) 

Sharing this week at some awesome parties. 
Mop it up Monday 
Must Love Junk 
The Shabby Creek Cottage 
Miss Mustard Seed 
The Dedicated House 

16 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful - I've done a couple of dresser with the curved top, they're such a beautiful detail - and the castors and glass handles will be the perfect touch
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have everything I need now, except time...ohhh boy do I need time...lol Thanks for the lovely comments :)

      Delete
  3. You did an amazing job, the dresser looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out wonderfully! I have an old curved-front dresser in my guest room that I'd picked up off the side of the road years ago, and have been wanting to do something with it. Right now, it's purple. Not a pretty purple, either. I think I'll haul it to the basement and get to stripping and sanding the thing now that I've seen how well yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh lucky you. Can't wait to see it :) Totally jealous. Roadside finds are the best. Thanks for the lovely comments :)

      Delete
  5. Very pretty! I love that little detail around the key hole. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for such lovely inspiration! found you at MMS's link party, always a favorite!

    hope you can swing by:
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/07/summer-sale-giveaway.html

    smiles to you.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty. GREAT MAKEOVER.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the NEW LOOK of this piece! I too just re-did a table like this and Im loving the results! Great job:) Deidre http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how this dresser turned out. Natural and paint ... the best of both worlds:)
    New follower, Francine

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out so pretty! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well hello crafty Canada, my first visit here. You dresser turned out so pretty. I love natural tops with painted bottoms, like the contrast and functionality it provides. Loving the dresser in the lighter color, really very pretty, great job. Fingers and toes are crossed you'll share your creativeness over at Sundays' Best going on right now - sharing is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete