Tuesday 10 July 2012

Even more dressers.

I did a post the other day about a couple of dressers I've redone. I'm going to add to that today. There is just something so wonderful about dressers. You can do so much. Turn them into just about anything.
I've done a few things myself.
I turned one large one into a credenza
You can read all about it HERE

One of my favorite projects though is turning them into benches such as these.

You can read about them HERE and HERE.

Sometimes I just love bringing them back to their natural state.
I had one two weeks ago that I bought at a yard sale.
Remember this dresser I picked up? Belonged to three generations of one family?

Obviously not the best picture. It had a zillion 10-12 layers of paint on it. But thats ok, I had a feeling it would be worth stripping down and doing it natural.
It was!!
I used an "American Walnut" stain. Not light, but very different from the dark walnut I normally use.
I think it fit this piece much better.
What do you think?
 Since it belonged to so many guys, I figured I had to keep it a "him". He just wouldn't look good all dressed up like a girl. At least I didn't feel he wanted to be a girl. Maybe I'm giving my furniture more credit than I should...but they speak to me. (no no no...not going to the loonie bin just yet)


The top came out almost PERFECT. Like it was originally intended to be.

 Look at that bottom drawer. When he came to me, you couldn't even see there was any design in it at all. Only after peeling off the first half dozen layers of paint, could the design be seen.

Going to add some casters and he will be all ready for his new home. Maybe he will go through another three generations of the same family.

Now remember my yard sale finds?
Hmmmm maybe I will leave that for another day.

9 comments:

  1. LOVE the benches! What a great idea!
    (found you on the Blog Hop- new follower!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dressers...this post was perfect for me!
    Would love if you stopped by my party to link this up! I would love to have you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you refinished the "him" dresser back to natural. I love painting things up, but sometimes bringing them back to wood is better, even if it is more work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of turning a dresser into a bench. I've turned bed head & foot boards into benches but not a dresser I must try this. I also love the simple beauty of your "him" dresser. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a very "him" dresser. I really like the color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wha a great transformation!! It turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful dresser make-over. I am in awe!

    Small House / Big Sky Donna
    http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, it's just perfect. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am now fully addicted to your blog. I am a fellow Canadian now liing in the UK and missing that whole roadside treasures thing...your pieces are beautiful, you have a real talent! I've given the re-vamp thing a go on a few projects over on this side of the pond, love for you to check them out if you have a chance ;-) Can't wait to see what you come up with next :-)

    ReplyDelete